Tuesday 11 August 2009

Woolly Eyes

For someone that works in the travel industry I am completely bamboozled by the complexity of the low cost airlines pricing strategies. Considering I studied Economics at degree level I thought I could master most pricing strategies, then after a few chin scratching moments I finally got my head around it: They lie.

Most of the low cost airlines pull you in with £1 flights and the dream of far flung destinations riddled with blue skies and blue waters. However, the truth of the matter is low cost flights have gone from being a roaring success to a land of hidden costs: baggage costs, credit card fee's, airport check-in fee's, priority boarding, super-special-look-how-comfortable-I-am seats and airports that are so far away sometimes, I think that the pilot they employed was actually blind.

My advice = stop trying to fool us. Most of today’s internet surfers are savvy to these futile attempts at getting more cash out of our pocket so just stop trying. Give us a clear, transparent price that shows us what we really pay and land us in an airport somewhere close to the destination I actually want to go to. In the mean time I’m off to Barcelona for the weekend with Ryanair, flying into Girona for £15 – bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment